Monday, September 12, 2011

Mustard Honey Glazed Chicken thighs... and wine tasting.

I'm constantly coming up with new recipes, but there are only so many days full of creativity. I often pick up recipes from friends, family, magazines... The other night we chose a recipe that was on Mad Hungry with Lucinda Scala Quinn (one of my favorite cooking shows). I made a few changes (out of convenience) but, you can see her original recipe here.

If you know me personally, you know that I'm a wine lover as much as a food lover. I am also starting a wine blog & thought this sounded like the perfect recipe to combine the two. If you're interested in hearing about the wine we tasted check out the wine selection... or just check out our yummy dinner below.

I mentioned that I made a few changes to the recipe... really, I didn't want to go to the store (this happens a lot). What I'm trying to say is that it's not so limiting going gluten free, this recipe could've been made as is... I was just too lazy to go to the store for fresh skin-on chicken thighs, I had most of the other ingredients on hand. Below is my version of the recipe.


For the Chicken...
  • 6 chicken thighs (This is where I cheated- I thawed boneless, skinless- but it turned out great anyway)
  • some olive oil (maybe more)
  • 1 lemon (juiced)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons gf whole-grain mustard 
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • some more olive oil
  • a little more salt and pepper

How to make the chicken...

Marinate chicken in olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and any herbs you like, for at least 1 hour and up to a day in advance (we marinated them about 3 hours, no additional herbs). Preheat oven to 375 degrees.









Lightly coat a baking dish with olive oil, place thighs skin side down (for my version, this meant "pretty" side down).







 


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and turn skin side up.













Bake for 10 more minutes. (plenty of time to make the glaze)

To make the glaze, add 2 tbsp mustard, 2 tbsp honey, and 1/3 c oil in a bowl in that order, whisk, add salt and pepper, whisk some more.








Apply glaze with brush or spoon and broil for 5 minutes (I needed to leave them in for 10).












Take out, let rest for a minute or two, and make the dressing.












The Salad...
just about any combination of veggies would be good with this dressing... these are the ingredients that I used
  • red romaine lettuce (any really leafy green mix will work well)
  • thinly sliced green onion
  • thinly sliced fennel
  • diced tomatoes
  • dressing (see below)
Dressing
  • 2 tbsp grainy mustard
  • a little honey
  • some lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper

Toss all salad ingredients together, a little dressing goes a long way. An easy way to do this is to use tupperware- just put it all in & shake it up! I wanted to have nice pictures for the blog (won't waste my time again).



I'll get better at taking photos... but believe me when I say this was amazing! The wine pairing was great, the chicken tasted so good that I didn't miss the skin(although, I bet it would crisp up even better) we served with rosemary lemon potatoes that I was able to cook in a separate dish along side the chicken. This meal would've been really easy if I wasn't so worried about pictures and notes!
Yummmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment